Assalaam aleikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh, so as a muslimah i am so excited Ramadhan is around the corner about 6 days to go. We all know how important Ramadhan is to all muslims and mu’mins.
What is Ramadhan?
Ramadhan is the ninth month of the Hijr calendar,Lunar calendar which the islamic dates are based on.It is the month where every muslim gets to fulfill the 4th pillar in which islam is build on that is Saum (Fasting).
Why is Ramadhan Important?
Ramadhan is important since it is the Month in which The Glorious Qur’an was reveal to mankind.Surah Baqarah verse 185: Allah Ta’ala Says, The month of Ramadhan is that in which the Quran was revealed ,as a guidance to men and clear proof of guidance and distinction ,therefore whoever of you is present in the month,he shall fast therein….
Therefore from this verse we see the weight that Ramadhan holds therefore this same verse also stresses the importance of reciting Quraan during this Holy Month.
Also, The second Importance of This Month is The Fact that The Night of power Happens on this Month.One may ask What is The Night of Decree?It is a night more than 1000 months. Quran chapter 97 verse 2-4 Surah Al Qadr states,The Night of Decree is better than 1000 months,The Angels and The Spirit (Angel Gabriel) descend by the permission of their Lord for every matter,Peace Prevails until the emergence of Dawn.
Sahih Bukhari Volume 3 book 31 The Book Of Fasting, number 120’Sahl Narates;
The Prophet Peace and Blessings of Allah be Upon Him said,”There is a gate in Paradise called Rayyan,and those who observe Fast will enter through it on the Day of Judgement and none except them will enter through it ,and after their entry the gate will be closed and nobody else will enter through it.
Who is allowed to fast?
Fasting is prescribed for every Muslim who has reached Puberty and is of sound mind and health. Quran chapter 2 verse 183; Allah Ta’ala says; O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you,as it was prescribed for those before you,so that you may guard against evil.Therefore Fasting is obligatory for every able muslim.
Quran Chapter 2 verse 184-185 ; Allah Ta’alla states; …But whoever among you is sick or on a journey,then (he shall fast) a (like) number of other days;and those who are not able to do it may effect a redemption by feeding a poor man;so whoever does good spontaneously it is better for him;and you that you fast is better for you if you know,
From the above verse we find that he sick and traveller are excused from fasting for the period of time of their inconvenience but when they regain convenience then they will have to fast for days like those they missed during Ramadhan.
Similarlly and elderly person,a chronically ill person and a mentally sick person are not allowed to fast but they pay a ransom for that which may include feeding a needy person for the whole of Ramadhan.
A pregnant woman, a breast feeding mother if her it may harm her kid if she fasts ,a woman who has just given birth and a menstruating woman are also prohibited from fasting but will later repay for the days they missed.
What acts are best during Ramadhan?
The best act apart from Fasting is reading the Quran.This is due to the fact that Quran was revealed on this month.
We can also increase in giving charity during this month as it is the month of giving therefore we should increae our sadaqah.
We should also Increase our Adhkar (Remembarance of Allah)
we should visit the sick and make dua for them and we should Also listen to islamic lectures.
In short we should increase our good deeds and refrain from bad deeds duting this month.
What prayers do we make during Ramadhan?
Well,apart from the Five obligatory prayers, we can also add the nawafil prayers (optional)
the evey day nawafil prayers of 2 rakaats befor fajr,2 or 4 before dhuhr and 2 after dhuhr,2 after maghrib and 2 after isha.
2 or 4 rakaats after salatul jumuah,
swalatul taraweh number of rakaats depending on the imam you are praying behind.it could be 8 or 20 or even more rakaats.
The night prayers i.e taraweh,tahajud and witr are always refered to as Qiyamul Layl and is always encouraged during Ramadhan.
Finally we should make our iftar light so we can be able to perform these night prayers and also remember our neighbours while taking iftar and invite them over.We should also remember the poor and needy Muslims.
What ibadah should a muslimah do on her menstrual days?
As a muslimah myself i know how this days can disconnect you from the ramadhan spirit especially if you have longer days. the best thing you could do on these days include;
- Listening to Quran. Alhamdulillah with this technological revolution we have mp3’s for the whole Quran on our Phones and other media devices.One can plug in their headphones and experience the spiritual journey of the Quran.One also has an option of choosing the Qiraat they like,Personally, Abdullah Basfar, Adil Kalbani,Abdulrahman al Sudeis and Mishary Rashid Al Afasy are my best.
- You can also listen to lectures and Alhamdulillah we have alot of sheikh’s contents over the internet,Cable satelite Tv channels and our local Masjids again you got the liberty of choosing how you are going to listen to the lectures.If I may,my favorite Sheikhs include, Sheikh Assim al Hakeem,Said Rageah,Yusha Evans,Mufti Ismail Musa Menk,Nouman Ali Khan ,Jimmy Jones and Abdurraheem Green.Locally in Kenya,Sheikh Juma Amir and Sheikh Abu Qatadah.
- You can do Dhikr.One can do Tasbeehat i.e saying Subhanallah Alhamdulillah Allahu Akbar Lailaha illa Allah Muhammadan Rasullullah and make duas in plenty.The best dua especially during the last 10 days of Ramadhan is “Allahumma Innaka Afuwwun Tuhibul Afuafa’fu anni”Meaning Oh! Allah You are the One who pardons greatly,and loves to pardon,so please pardo me.
- You can read the translated Qur’an.This will enhance your understanding of the Qur’an.
- Finally you can increase your good deds at this time.
Finally Brothers and sisters we should strive to make each ramadhan better than the previous one.Worship like it is your last time.so Strive to make your worship perfect.All in all may Allah increase our Eeman accept our Duas,Swalahs,Saum and pardon us for our shortcomings.May he also have mercy on the souls of our brothers and sisters who left and and grant them the highest Jannah Firdaus. Ameen